The Philmont first aid certification requirements for 2014 Treks, including the PSA Trek – July 14 to 21, $475 per person, have changed. Philmont now requires that all crews have at least two participants, (adult or youth) in each crew who are currently certified in Wilderness First Aid or the equivalent and CPR from the American Heart Association, the American Red Cross or the equivalent. Getting certified in Wilderness First Aid can be a challenge – it is sometimes hard to find an available course. Visit your council service center for more information about when your council will be offering Wilderness First Aid instruction. Do this soon because some councils do it early in the year and these classes fill quickly. If your council does not offer this instruction, call your local Red Cross to see if the course is being offered. If that does not work, equivalent training can be obtained from the following nationally-recognized organizations: American Safety and Health Institute Emergency Care and Safety Institute National Outdoor Leadership School (Wilderness Medicine Institute) National Safety Council National Ski Patrol – Outdoor Emergency Care Stonehealth Open Learning Opportunities (SOLO) The Mountaineers Wilderness Medical Associates (WMA) Wilderness Medical Society (WMS) Wilderness Medicine Outfitters Wilderness Medicine Training Center Wilderness Safety Council Wilderness Safety & Emergency Response (W.I.S.E.R.) In lieu of Wilderness First Aid and CPR training, Philmont will accept the following advance levels of training. A copy of the current license or certification must be shared with Philmont during the registration process:
- Wilderness First Responder
- Outdoor Emergency Care
- EMT Basic, Intermediate, or Paramedic
- Military Corpsman or Medic
- Registered Nurse
- Licensed Nurse Practitioner
- Licensed Physician’s Assistant
- Licensed Physician, MD or DO
Full trek details. For further information contact: Doug Latimer at email@example.com Dave Romack at firstname.lastname@example.org Lee Huckstep at email@example.com Our standard terms and conditions apply. Cancellation policy:
- Cancellation prior to the registration deadline of June 1, 2014 will receive a full refund.
- Cancellation after the registration deadline will not receive a refund. Monies paid can be used for another PSA or Exchange Program event prior to the end of 2014 or can be contributed to the general fund of the cancelling participant’s association.
- In exceptional cases, the Executive Director and Vice President of Service of the PSA can authorize full refunds for cancellation after the registration deadline.